Creditor Harassment Lawyer in Queens
Stop Creditor Harassment
Dealing with debt can affect your everyday life, especially when creditors start contacting you at home and at work for payment. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) was enacted to help protect you as a consumer, but collection agencies can still get out of line and harass you for payment. It is illegal for them to use abusive tactics, such as:
- Call you before 8:00am or after 9:00pm
- Call you at work if you previously informed the creditor that you’re not allowed to receive calls
- Contact you after you notified the creditor in writing that you don’t want to be contacted
- Discuss your debt with anyone other than you or your spouse
- Harass you: repeated calls, profanity, threats
- Make false claims: lying about the amount of debt you owe, providing false credit information about you, threatening you with arrest if you don’t pay
It is important to know your rights, and to take action if you think a creditor has harassed you in any way. While collection agencies are allowed to contact you regarding your debt, they must operate within the restrictions of the The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If you are being harassed by creditors, contact Queens bankruptcy attorney Bruce Feinstein, Esq. to make sure your rights are protected and put an end to harmful attacks.
Another way to put an end to creditor calls – both legal and illegal – is to file for bankruptcy. As soon as you file with the court, an automatic stay is imposed that prevents collection agencies from contacting you directly; they must go through your bankruptcy attorney. Instead of worrying about unrelenting calls and past-due notices, you can focus on getting yourself out of debt.
Queens Creditor Harassment Lawyer
The Law Offices of Bruce Feinstein, Esq. are prepared to fight for your consumer rights if you are being harassed by creditors. They can file a complaint with the FTC, or move ahead with a lawsuit against a collection agency. The firm has spent years fighting for justice for their clients, and their knowledge of consumer protection laws makes them a valuable asset in the courtroom. Bruce Feinstein, Esq. will work with you on your case, no matter how complex, and provide the legal representation you need against an abusive collection agency. He has served clients throughout Queens county and Nassau county, providing highly skilled, experience litigation.