Collection Agency Defense
Debt Collection Defense Attorney in Queens
Do you have creditors calling you at all hours, or sending you notices, or disclosing information about your debt to your job or family?
These practices and many others are illegal under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). These rules are enforced by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to protect you, the consumer, from unfair debt collection tactics. If you think creditors have broken these laws, they can be held accountable and you have the right to sue them in court.
Creditor violations include:
- Calling you before 8:00am or after 9:00pm
- Calling you at work if you previously informed the creditor that you’re not allowed to receive calls
- Contacting you after you notified the creditor in writing that you don’t want to be contacted
- Discussing your debt with anyone other than you or your spouse
- Harassment: repeated calls, profanity, threats
- False claims: lying about the amount of debt you owe, providing false credit information about you, threatening you with arrest if you don’t pay
If you have an attorney representing you about your debt, the creditor must also contact the attorney, not you.
Being in debt is not a crime, so you shouldn’t be treated like a prisoner. Contact a Queens bankruptcy attorney right away if you think a debt collector has violated the law. The firm can help you take action against them and make sure the harassment stops immediately.
Queens Debt Collection Defense Attorney
The Law Offices of Bruce Feinstein, Esq. Know that creditors sometimes take advantage of their role and go outside the guidelines of the FDCPA, taking any means necessary to collect. The firm is prepared to fight for you if you are a victim of unfair debt collection practices. They can quickly report violations to the FTC, and can file a lawsuit against the debt collection agency. Their knowledge of consumer rights makes them highly qualified to represent you and defend your case. Bruce Feinstein has your interests in mind, and he will work tirelessly to get you the best possible outcome. The firm has been helping clients protect their rights in Nassau and Queens counties for over 15 years, providing quality service and exceptional legal representation.